Mumbai, being the densest city in the world, suffers from a lack of public space for the majority of the population, whose habitations are found in the slum area. Substandard hygiene and over packed living environment are common in the regions. Yet it was the same high density that yields vibrancy to the city.
Seeing these, patterns of activities observed in the squatter area were documented and studied. A system of infrastructure is designed with a layer of patterned openings which allows pegs to be pulled out from the ground at different heights. This infrastructure is imposed in the ground. The choices of heights correspond to the activities that users of the area mainly do. In order to increase the degree of control towards the activities happening in the site, a series of optimization study was done against the ratio between openings and ground, such that a design that strikes a balance between users’ wishes and architects’ intentions emerged.
Studio RYTE is an energetic and innovative design studio comprised of agile and passionate inventors, architects, designers and engineers. The multi-disciplinary design team is dedicated to harness technology and craftsmanship to redefine mundane urban objects, materials and space. The team worked on several Kickstarter campaigns and exhibited their furniture series in SaloneSatellite in Milan. Their works were covered by Dezeen, Design Milk, Core77, Gizmodo, Notcot, SCMP, Perspective, Yahoo and more.
- Architizer A+Awards/ Stools Up - Residential Seating, Special Mention
- Sky Design Awards /Rattan Series - Furniture, Shortlisted
- Sky Design Awards /Morokok - Corporate Identity, Shortlisted
- The Cleverest Awards by Architectural Digest /Catssup - Best 50 Products
- Chengdu International Home Design Award by iF /Cuddle Series - Winner
- China Interior Design 40under40 Award-Hng Kong / Awarded to Dennis Cheung /Award given to outstanding young Hong Kong interior designers.
- Sina New Power Interior Design Award / Awarded to Dennis Cheung /Fellowship given to future leaders in the Interior Design industry across 12 cities in China.
- Perspective 40Under40 Award / Awarded to Dennis Cheung /Fellowship given to 40 young design talents (40 years and under) to recognize their achievements that leads the future of interior and product design in Hong Kong and Asia-Pacific region. ARCHITECTURE
- Hong Kong Young Design Talent Award / Awarded to Dennis Cheung /Fellowship given to young design talents (35 years and under) to undergo overseas work attachment/ study that will contribute to the development of Hong Kong's design and creative industries.
- Design for Asia Awards /Movabar, Environmental & Interior Design-Merit
- 100k Dreamcatchers Seed Fund Winner /Movabar, Interior Design
- ARCASIA Travel Prize in Architecture /Awarded to Dennis Cheung /Fellowship given to Young Architects (40 years and under) to conduct design & travel research on humanitarian architecture
- International Design Awards / Movabar, Interior Design Professional Category, Honorable Mention
- Design for Asia Awards / SR Salon Hong Kong, Interior Design-Environmental Design, Merit
- American Institute of Architects Hong Kong Honors & Awards / Timber Scooper-Un-built/ Other, Merit Award