3bedroom 3bath, 1812 sqft. House in santa monica California
• Simplistic Eco-conscious design that is focused on functionality and creating a breathing family environment.
• The house is oriented on the site for optimum advantage of natural light and cross ventilation.
• Maximum use of natural light to cut down electrical cost.
• Conscious effort in using only materials in their most organic form.
• No use of chemicals, carpets, tiles or paint.
• Exterior panels contain 30% recycled materials.
• 9’ x 16’ Single hung window, balanced with steel weight, maximizing indoor/outdoor living.
• Floor material connected in an unobtrusive manner to increase floor plan flow and space.
• Design and use of color inspired by dramatic landscape to create contrasting stimulating interior. The red (volcanic) kitchen island creates a multi-functional gathering point in the heart of the house. The rubber staircase combines elements of strength and infinity.
• Windowsill in Living room made of steel creates an additional seating area with magnetic cushions that can be rearranged to ones needs.
• Front skylite to create a natural light in kitchen
• Entry courtyard to create a privacy from busy street.
• Material manufactured from recycled tires is used on kitchen cabinetry and kitchen chairs, creating an elegant kitchen unaffected by normal wear and tear of family life.
• LED Light design in I structural beam in order to make indoor use of structure and create ambiance.
• Bookshelf functions as railings/barriers between floor plans.
• Headboard in master bedroom is cladded with the flooring material to give unobtrusive feel of space
• Outdoor sleeping area for healthy living
Minarc is an award-winning Santa Monica-based design studio that specializes in modern, innovative, and sustainable architecture and design.
Principals Erla Dogg Ingjaldsdottir, assoc. aia, and Tryggvi Thorsteinsson, Assoc. AIA, hail from Iceland, and take inspiration from the pure, austere beauty of their home country for all their projects.