Conventionally, environmental issues concerning industrial design were considered to be the realm of technologist; however, industrial designers have a great potential to broaden the scope of environmental solution granting the design solution in that designers have the unique opportunity of influencing the interface between the product and the user. To understand the current situation of the industrial designer's approach to eco-design, we carried out the research: literature review, in-depth interview with the experts, and the questionnaire method. Our study has shown that there were neither appropriate mechanism to integrate eco-design into the development stages nor appropriate tools for designers.
Therefore, I set the goal to develop a 'eco design tool' specially aimed at industrial designers identifying the insights of designers' need and want, generating the criteria on which base the contents of the tools, and developing in a most appropriate media.
<Statement of Intent>
Develop an elaborated eco-design tool for through the designer?s view points to be used as a tool to help industrial designers becoming more easily involved in the process of developing eco friendly products. Ultimately, they are able to contribute to a more sustainable design development and a healthier society.
<Research Analysis for the design >
1. The research found out that since current eco-design tools are commonly addressed by engineers, they have an alienating effect on industrial designers to involve eco design development
-> need a transition of viewpoint( from engineers to designers )
2. As the research showed that ID requested ?inspiration examples? and ?condensed information?, I gathered the very appropriate examples and set the criteria to organize the contents, to decide the style & format. Moreover, designed the contents according to the designer?s view which integrate manufactures, users and ecological view points.
3. Designed the tool in a ?card form? which I decided it to be the best media for designers according to the research analysis. The whole eco design package was created; not only about the contents but also the card itself is the eco design
<Description of the final design>
?The Rethinking Card?, which is aimed at enhancing an industrial designer?s approach to eco design development, will be used as an appropriate tool for designers to become more easily involved in the development process in that it grants ? fun & efficient ? factors for getting information and inspiration of eco design. Moreover, based on the thorough research, ?The Rethinking Card? is designed as integrating various viewpoints- ecological view, manufactures? view, general users? view- at the base of designer?s view points.
As it is formed in a ?card?, it has it own unique function;
1. Unlike a book which is organized only in a sequences, a card is susceptible to be sorted by a diversity of standards
2. As a card is independent by a single piece, it can be used as a efficient communication tool among designers.
3. As a card format, it is relatively apt to be updated and keep what the users like to
4. As the users sustainably sort and keep the card depending on their interests, they can refer to as whenever they need.
school : KAIST
major : Industrial Design
interest : eco-friendly design